The Dorward Drug Historical Marker dedication will be held in Gail, Texas, Sat., June 21, at 2 p.m. at the corner of FM 669 and Hwy 180. A reception will follow at the Borden County Event Center and Borden County Museum with artifacts from David Dorward's drug store will be open prior to the ceremony.
Please bring a chair or umbrella for shade.
David Dorward arrived in Borden County in 1892 and opened the Dorward Drug on the courthouse square in Gail, Texas a few years later. Doward did home study for his pharmacist license and had it issued by the Texas Board of Pharmacy on September 17, 1907. He supplied prescriptions for two local physicians, Dr. James Prince and Dr. John H. Hannabass. As the little town began to dwindle in population Doward”s Drug became the meeting place of the community by providing over the counter medicines, refreshments, and even ice for the old time iceboxes of the day. When the local telephone switchboard closed in 1918, Doward’s Drug had the only telephone serving Gail and the surrounding farms and ranches until the 1950’s. Telephone messages received by Mr. Dorward at the store would be delivered to local residents or to outlying farms and ranches.
In 2012, R. D. “Buster” and Jean Creighton Taylor acquired the old property and were able to salvage the original walls, ceiling, shelving, soda machine and safe from eventual destruction, held at the Borden County Museum.