Like to learn about the rich heritage of our communities, while helping to make a difference in preserving it? The board of the Texas Plains Trail Region meets every other month at a site within our 52-county region, to conduct business and tour the area. The public is always welcome to attend, and these occasions are excellent opportunities to network with others, discuss best practices and new ideas, and explore the historical, cultural, architectural, and natural resources of Texas.
Thurs. Oct. 15, 2015, 10 am, Amarillo, Texas: Regular board meeting at the Amarillo Convention & Visitor Council, located in the historic Bivins House at 1000 S. Polk Street, with lunch catered by Youngblood's, followed by a guided trolley tour of downtown Amarillo sites and preservation successes -- with a stop for coffee at the top coffeeshop in the US, Palace Coffee, afterward.
For those who would like to stay overnight in Amarillo on the night prior to the board meeting, an excellent room rate of $89 per night has been extended by the Courtyard by Marriott Amarillo Downtown at the Historic Fisk Building, a preserved and repurposed National Register property that is a destination in and of itself. For those with a little extra time to explore individually, Amarillo boasts numerous museums, restaurants, historic sites, and events:
For a preview of what you can expect in Amarillo, view these recent slide shows:
• Texas Downtown Association Regional Roundtable and tour of downtown, April 2015: https://www.flickr.com/photos/barbarabrannon/albums/72157651626159459
• Hunt for History on Amarillo's Route 66, May 2, 2015: https://www.flickr.com/photos/barbarabrannon/albums/72157651304188854
• More in Route 66 in Amarillo: https://www.flickr.com/photos/barbarabrannon/albums/72157651401528689
• Jack Sisemore Traveland RV Museum, Jan. 2014: https://www.flickr.com/photos/barbarabrannon/albums/72157640585638785
• Scenes from Amarillo, May 2013: https://www.flickr.com/photos/barbarabrannon/albums/72157633833009943
• Historic Fisk Building (Courtyard by Marriott): https://www.flickr.com/photos/barbarabrannon/albums/72157633484235049
Looking forward to seeing you in Amarillo!