Quanah Parker Trail: A Road to Remember
Travelers have begun to notice giant roadside arrows crafted in steel, standing over twenty feet high and accented with bands of Comanche red, yellow, and blue, appearing along strategic sites in the region. The arrows, sponsored by the Texas Plains Trail Region and designed by sculptor Charles Smith, mark key locations in the history of Quanah Parker, Comanche chief and Texas legend.
Old Tascosa and a Shirttail to Hang On To
Once known as “Cowboy Capital of the Plains,” the community of Old Tascosa provided an easy crossing along the Canadian River during the cattle-drive days of the late 1800s. The Plains Trail Region community drew an assortment of frontier characters to its location during its heyday, including cattlemen and cattle thieves, the Comanche and Comancheros, trade goods and contraband, and an assortment of lawmen and outlaws. Although Mexican sheepherders established the first permanent settlement here in 1876, the arrival of Charles Goodnight and his droves of livestock inspired a boomtown. Old Tascosa grew rapidly into a rowdy outlier and its location, hundreds of miles from the era’s frontier line, attracted entrepreneurs as well as criminals who enjoyed the community’s lack of authority and restraint.