Located on historic Route 66, McLean embodies both early ranching and early highway heritage. From its beginning, barbed wire was dubbed the “devil’s rope” as unwary cattle often got tangled in the new fencing. The Devil’s Rope & Route 66 Museum demonstrates how barbed wire ended open-range ranching. Displays feature thousands of barbed wire examples and dozens of fence-making tools –– plus famous ranch brands, military and agricultural uses of wire and even barbed wire sculptures. The museum also features Route 66 memorabilia, including signage, photos and a mock roadside cafe. Five blocks west is the state’s first Phillips 66 service station, built in 1927.