Menu

Texas Plains Trail Region

Participant in the Texas Historical Commission's
Texas Heritage Trails Program

Post


Photo by Rick Vanderpool

Ranchland became a Utopian town just below the Caprock Escarpment in 1907. That’s when Post Cereal founder and philanthropist, C.W. Post, established his namesake city as a model farming community. In the process he introduced agricultural innovations to the high Texas plains and paid the Santa Fe Railroad to ensure that a depot would be finished by 1910 (the restored building now serves as the city’s Visitors Center and Chamber of Commerce). A five-block refurbished historic district looks much as it did in the cereal magnate’s day. His 1911 office is now the OS Ranch Museum, a gallery of world-class art collected by rancher and oilman Giles C. McCrary and family. Downtown also offers B&B lodging in the 1915 Hotel Garza, plus family movies at the classic Tower Theater. A sanitarium opened by C.W. Post in 1912 houses the Garza County Historical Museum. Its 26 rooms retell the story of the county’s colorful ranching, farming and Native American heritage. One exhibit details the life and experiments of C.W. Post, including his dynamite-blasting efforts to make it rain. Next door, a two-story Arts-and-Crafts bungalow, built in 1913 for sanitarium nurses, now houses the Caprock Cultural Association and hosts special events. A statue of C.W. Post sits outside the 1923 Prairie School-style Garza County Courthouse. Not far from town, the Terrace Cemetery welcomes visitors with an unusual gateway built in 1908 using round rocks from C.W. Post’s ranch.


Contact

  • Contact: Post Area Chamber of Commerce
  • Phone: 806-495-3461
  • Visit Website

Map