Located one block west of Main Street in downtown Quanah, the historic Quanah, Acme & Pacific Depot is a remarkably handsome example of Spanish Colonial Revival architecture (many consider the depot to be one of the best examples of this distinct style in the state). The depot was constructed in 1909 to serve as a passenger depot and railway offices for the main line of the Quanah, Acme & Pacific Railroad. The depot was designed by Page Brothers Architects, the Austin-based architecture firm formed by Charles Henry and Louis Charles Page in 1898. The firm was responsible for designing the Texas Building for the St. Louis World’s Fair in 1904 as well as over half a dozen courthouses across the state. The firm’s modern permutation, Page Southerland Page Inc., continues to design and build from its Austin headquarters today. The depot survives as well, now listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and is under the care of the Hardeman County Historical Society.
The depot museum houses an extensive collection of artifacts and exhibits exploring the history of the surrounding region. Items from Hardeman County’s pioneer and railroad days as well as artifacts connected to Quanah Parker occupy the first floor of the museum while upstairs exhibits include a Veterans Room, the Quanah Cotton Oil Mill, and a “Space Room” furnished by NASA and the Smithsonian Institute. Recently added is a QA&P train display donated by collector Fred Holland.