Visitors to the Texas Plains Trail city of Canyon, home to the Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum, will find a thriving environment of cultural and natural heritage. This Texas Main Street City and participant in the Texas Historical Commission Courthouse Preservation Program harbors a healthy share of Texas State Historical Markers within its city limits. The Randall County Courthouse, the Presbyterian Church Building, and the 1909 First National Bank are a few of the over thirty markers on structures and sites around town. A favorite among visiting artists is the marker commemorating 20th century American painter Georgia O’Keeffe and her time spent here as faculty member at West Texas State Normal College, now West Texas A&M University. O’Keeffe arrived in Canyon in 1916 where, inspired by the surrounding countryside, she began to incorporate themes from nature in her work, a decision that would influence her painting for the rest of her life. Canyon also serves as gateway to Palo Duro Canyon State Park, believed to be the largest canyon in Texas, no doubt a haunt of O’Keeffe’s that continues to be a favorite destination for many Texas artists today.