In 1903 founding fathers called this flat land Lamesa, Spanish for “the table.” The 1916 brick Dawson County Courthouse stands on the square, originally Texas Renaissance in style, it was altered in 1952 with an addition and remodeling. In 1926, one of the finest hotels between Dallas and El Paso was built –– the Dal Paso Hotel, which now houses the Dal Paso Museum and the Lamesa Chamber of Commerce. The restored hotel lobby retains its grand period appearance. Each upstairs room chronicles a different historical topic including ranching, banking, home life, sports, medicine and agriculture. One room contains the original witness stand and judge’s bench from the Dawson County Courthouse. Local memorabilia include a speaker from the 1945 Sky-Vue Drive-In theater, which continues to show double features at the edge of town.