The romance of automobile travel took hold of the American imagination almost as soon as the first cars began rolling off assembly lines in the early 1900s. However, it wasn’t until paved roads crisscrossed the nation in the 1920s that people were able to travel whenever and anywhere they pleased, by car. With cars came the need for fuel, and gas stations quickly popped up to serve the need. Oil companies designed station buildings with marketing in mind, giving travelers peace of mind in spotting a familiar brand on the landscape.
In Texas, Phillips 66 stations initially operated in the Panhandle, and this station in McLean is recognized as one of the first, opened in 1929. Its Tudor-Revival style construction with gabled roof and front chimney is typical of the early station brand. The McLean station officially closed for business in 1977, and the building was remodeled in 1991 to commemorate its heritage on U.S. Route 66. In front of the building are two early 20th-century gas pumps, an oil pump, and an historic Phillips 66 sign that were moved to this location as part of the renovation.