This historic home was built in 1909 by Thomas P. Turk and originally located at 402 Palo Duro Street. After the establishment of West Texas State University in 1910, it was moved to serve as a residence for faculty and students. Mary E. Hudspeth (1875-1943), a member of the college faculty, rented rooms in the house at its original site. She continued to occupy it following its relocation for a total of 33 years, as renter and owner. A noted educator, Hudspeth served as chairman of the modern languages department at West Texas State University.