The Union Congregational Church was Friona’s first church. The original wooden structure was dedicated in 1909, and burned in 1921. The subsequent adobe structure constructed after the fire endures today as the Parmer County Pioneer Heritage Museum. The church’s conversion into a museum began in the 1970’s when a local women’s group endeavored to conserve and make use of the old building. They helped clean up the building and repurposed the space for the local girl scout troop. However, real headway in the museum project wouldn’t begin until the early 2000’s when a student service learning project helped to reinvigorate and complete the restoration of the Museum. Today, the museum features items significant to local pioneer history.